At SCL Health we recognize how difficult it can be to pay medical bills following an emergency, surgery or other medical treatment. To make it as easy as possible for our patients to pay their medical bills, we offer a range of financial assistance options to help.
You may qualify for financial assistance if:
- You are uninsured and are unable to qualify for government assistance such as Medicaid.
- You are underinsured, meaning you do not have enough insurance to cover all of your bills.
- You are unable to pay for medically-necessary care based on your household financial situation.
When determining patient eligibility, SCL Health does not take into account race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, age, social or immigration status, sexual orientation. Under our financial policy, we use the most current Federal Poverty Guidelines to determine financial eligibility.
After you complete our financial assistance application process, we will work with you to determine the best option to meet your needs. Patients are asked to contribute to the cost of their care according to their ability to pay. Some of the options we offer patients, depending on their individual situations, are:
- Discounted Care — Patients with an annual family income between 201% and 400% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines may be eligible for discounted care. (This is between $48,501 and $97,000 a year for a family of four.) This type of financial assistance offers discounts to lower the patient’s financial obligation.
- Fully Discounted (No Charge) Care —Uninsured and underinsured patients with an annual family income of less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines may be eligible for a 100% waiver of their financial obligation. (This is $48,500 or less for a family of four).
- Medical Hardship — Medical hardship assistance provides discounts on a sliding scale to eligible patients with an annual family income above 400% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, but not exceeding $200,000. Your out of pocket financial obligations will never exceed 20% of your annual family income.
- Payment Plan — An extended payment plan may be negotiated between SCL Health and a patient for any out-of-pocket costs. The payment plan will take into account the patient's income and assets, the amount owed, and any prior payments.
This is an overview of services that are eligible for financial assistance. For full details, please consult the Financial Assistance Policy.
Services eligible for financial support:
- Trauma and emergency medical services provided in an emergency setting
- Services for a condition that must be treated promptly, to avoid worsening health
- Non-elective services provided in response to life-threatening circumstances
- Other medically necessary services scheduled in advance and assessed and approved by SCL Health
Services not eligible for financial support:
- Elective procedures (Procedures that are not medically necessary)
- Services by other care providers not billed through SCL Health
If you are ready to apply, download and complete the Financial Assistance Application. The application will ask you for detailed documentation of your financial status. Before you start filling out forms, you will need to gather all applicable supporting documentation, including:
- Your last 3 months of pay stubs for you, your spouse and/or significant other
- Bank statements from the last 3 months
- Copies of award letters (Unemployment, Social Security, etc.)
- Documentation of child support /court ordered maintenance
- Your prior year’s tax return
If eligibility is approved, you will be granted financial assistance for 12 months. Services received within the past 6 months will also be covered.
If eligibility is denied for any of the financial assistance offered by SCL Health, patients may reapply whenever there has been a change of income or status.
*Please note: Patients who do not cooperate in applying for programs that may pay for their healthcare services (such as Medicaid), may be denied financial assistance. SCL Health will assist patients in applying for public and private programs.
Patient Financial Services
500 Eldorado Boulevard, Suite 6300
Broomfield, CO 80021-3408
303-272-0967 — local
855-821-0124 — toll free
Monday — Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Mountain Time